The Crispy Deep Fried Calamari (a.k.a. Rabas) is a widely recognized dish that originated in Italy but is also very popular in Greece and other regions around the world.
This recipe is not just another variation – it’s my absolute favourite! With its irresistible crispy texture, fresh flavours, and a hint of tanginess from the lemon, this dish never fails to satisfy.
It’s a fresh and flavourful entrée dish, but it can also be a perfect main dish if you add a side. For instance, a crunchy and well-seasoned salad like this One Minute Salads : Red Cabbage.
You will find several versions of this recipe out there, for example, with a thick breadcrumb crust or with panko, but I prefer them more lightly coated using just flour.
This easy recipe is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. With only a few ingredients, you can cook it in just 20 minutes and impress yourself or anyone you want.
Get ready to savour the flavours of the sea and embark on a culinary adventure with every bite.
Rabas for 2, per favore!
Crispy Deep Fried Calamari
- 3 Squid tubes (4 if they are small)
- 1 cup All Porpouse Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Salt & Pepper
- 500 cc Canola Oil
- 4 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 1 Lemon
- Extra Salt to taste (regular, kosher or flakes)
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Cut the squid tube into rings of 2 cm and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a bowl, add the flour, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley, and mix them together. Optional: You can add some smoked paprika for extra flavour.
- Add the squid rings into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix them by hand. Gently try to cover each ring with the flour. Once you are done, place them, if possible separately, on a plate or a sheet.
- Pour the oil into a pot and place it on the burner to heat it.
- Quick tip: The best way to test your oil is by using a tiny crumb of the dry mixture or the back of a wooden spoon. If it starts steadily bubbling, the oil is ready to fry. If there's no bubbling or it is too low, the oil is not ready yet. It should take you approximately 5 to 10 minutes to have the oil hot enough.
- Please, be careful with hot oil, as it is very dangerous!! Once the oil is ready to fry, grab a few rings and place them into the hot oil. It should take 5-8 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Important: Don't overcook them, otherwise, the squid will become tough and rubbery.
- Cut some lemon wedges and squeeze them all over the calamari. You may also add more chopped parsley on top, or red pepper flakes for spiciness. Sprinkle some salt flakes (or just regular salt) on them, and that’s it. You are ready to eat!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Find more recipes like the Crispy Deep Fried Calamari (a.k.a. Rabas):
- Original & Easy Italian Thin Crust Pizza
- Fast & Simple Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Quick and Healthy Spring Rolls
Take a look to our Instagram page!